How it Works

admin

Administrator
Staff member
How it Works

To create backups using Backup Center, it is recommended to follow steps in below order:

Destinations:
  1. Create destinations first before assigning them to backup jobs.
  2. Destinations are storage locations where backups are saved.
  3. It supports "Local" and "S3 Compatible" cloud storage destinations.

Schedules:
  1. Create schedules to specify when backup jobs should run.
  2. Schedules can be set to run backups hourly, daily, weekly, or monthly.
  3. Multiple schedules can be assigned to a single backup job, but each schedule must be of a different type (e.g. daily, weekly, monthly).
  4. For S3 destinations, users need to verify the destination after adding it. This can be done by clicking the icon under the "Verify" column on destinations list page.

Backup Jobs:
  1. Create backup jobs and assign destinations and schedules to them.
  2. Backup jobs run automatically according to the assigned schedule or can be run manually.
  3. If a backup job is currently processing, it cannot be edited or deleted until it finishes.
  4. If a user deletes a backup job, any related backups become orphaned and cannot be used for restore.
  5. It is recommended to avoid deleting backup jobs to maintain the integrity of the backup data.

Queues:
  1. Each backup and restore job will be added to a queue and run in the order in which it was added.
  2. The queue displays the running status and logs of each backup job.
  3. Users can cancel running jobs from the queue.

Restore:
  1. Use the restore area to restore backups from a selected destination.
  2. Users can choose which accounts, databases or folders to restore and where to restore them.
  3. Restore jobs will be added to the queue immediately.

Note: It is important to test backup jobs to ensure they are valid and backups can be restored successfully in case of data loss.

filmturn

I created a Block Storage Volume for my Digital Ocean droplet running zelsecp.
I created 2 backup Jobs:
IncrementalDO Block StorageDirectories - IncrementalIncremental Backups - Retain 6 backupsJan 18, 2024, 9:00 pmNeverEdit Run Manually
BackupsDO Block StorageFull Account - ArchivedRegular Backups - Retain 3 backups
Weekly Backups - Retain 2 backups
Jan 19, 2024, 7:00 pmNeverEdit Run Manually

I turned these off and the destination off for now because I want to I'd like to clarify a few things.
The destination in zesle says
25.66 GB used / 99.99 GB total (74.33 GB free)

But this is the exact amount of storage used and available for the main disk.
According to the shell:
sda 8:0 0 200G 0 disk /mnt/volume_nyc3_01
vda 253:0 0 100G 0 disk

So I made the destination local /mnt/volume_nyc3_01/backup/ but it doesn't seem to be registering correctly in the admin panel and I'm concerned the panel and /mnt/volume_nyc3_01/ doesn't contain a backup directory so I'm not sure where the backup may go and if it might ovewrite my main drive.

My other concern is regarding Incremental Backups.
I've set this job to directories to include
/etc
/var
/home
/root
/opt
/usr

and exclude
/proc
/sys
/dev
/tmp
/run

I'd like to make sure that other changes made to the server by me, zesle, or other services may be reversed if needed, but I don't want to break the control panel if restoring that backup, or litespeed admin, phpmyadmin, who knows what else...

So what would be the recommended directories that are safe to restore?
Could it be safe to restore zesle and other software configurations if I pressed the wrong button and deleted something then wanted to restore it?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
ZesleCP only recognize drives mounted to / path and backup system can be safely used to backup /home
and restoring zeslecp services might not work if you perform backup/restore on whole file system